Followers

Thursday 13 December 2018

THE PILLBOX MURDER

THE PILLBOX MURDER


A few days ago I wrote about my new 'work in progress', BLOOD ON THE CARDS  and mentioned that it was starting in a WW2 pillbox. So, as part of my research, I visited the one I had in mind, on the bank of the Royal Military Canal at Appledore, over the border in Kent. I wanted to get a feel for the location, imagine what it would be like for the police conducting a fingertip search for a murder weapon. Also, I wanted to see what the atmosphere was actually like inside.


It was, as I expected, pretty grim, but not as bad as some I've been in. There was the usual scattering of rubbish - cans, broken glass and litter and, of course, graffiti. Now, as my books are set in the 1950s I don't think it would read PUNKS, maybe, YANKS GO HOME or BAN THE BOMB or maybe nothing. After all, it was only ten years after the war so perhaps it was still relatively pristine.


Anyway, the visit was most fruitful and I can now write about it confidently. 














No comments:

Post a Comment