Followers

Friday 12 October 2018

STUDIO/WRITING HUT - re-purposing an iconic structure

STUDIO/WRITING HUT
re-purposing an iconic structure


Back in 2007 I designed and built my first garden at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show. Amazingly, I was awarded a Silver-Gilt medal and I met and shook hands with the Queen.

The garden featured drought tolerant seaside plants put directly into 4 tonnes of shingle. The backdrop was the facade of a Victorian railway carriage, beautifully constructed by my good friend and bespoke furniture designer, Robert Patch. Since then the structure has been languishing in his workshop and I kept promising to do something with it.

Finally, this autumn, work has started, utilising it as the front of a garden building I can use as a studio and writing room.


The floor is also re-purposed, made from four, eight foot by four foot decking panels. As the garden slopes at 1 in 4 I had to get two strong chaps to carry them up to the top!


The structure is going to sit very happily in the garden and blend in beautifully. Also the views from inside, towards the sea, are stunning. I can't wait to finish it! Aggie is looking forward to it too.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Moya. I’m enjoying the build and really looking forward to seeing it finished.

      Delete