Followers

Monday 18 March 2019

MEXICAN FLEABANE AND VALERIAN - What's in a name?

MEXICAN FLEABANE VALERIAN
What's in a name?

Erigeron karvinskianus

Centranthus ruber

It was getting dark; Russell had switched on the standard lamp and was settling down with his book again. Cortot’s rendition of the Chopin preludes was playing softly on the radiogram. He heard a car draw up outside his home; the engine was switched off. He rose from his chair, turned on the outside light and opened the door. Lewis was making his way down the stepping-stone path between the clumps of newly emerging Centranthus and Erigeron.

extract from the soon to be released, Blood on the Strand 

Shinglesea - Chelsea garden

Mexican fleabane, Latin American fleabane, Santa Barbara daisySpanish daisyKarwinsky’s fleabane, or bony-tip fleabane. These are all common names for Erigeron karvinskianus. It grows freely in paths and on steps and I used it in my medal winning Chelsea Flower Show garden, Shinglesea. I was very amused when the BBC presenter, Joe Swift, asked me what it was called. When I told him, he asked for the common name as he couldn't pronounce the Latin when on camera!

Shnglesea - Chelsea garden


Red valerian, spur valerian, kiss-me-quick, fox's brush, Devil's Beard and Jupiter's beard are common names for Centranthus ruber. It grows wild, near the coast and is usually red although it can vary from white, through pink to deep red. I used three colours in my Chelsea garden and I let it self-seed freely around my house not far from the sea.

Me and medal - Shinglesea, Chelsea 2007

















No comments:

Post a Comment