Followers

Thursday 9 July 2020

STRANGE TIMES but Life must go on

STRANGE TIMES
but Life must go on.


I'm sitting in my writing studio, listening to the wind howling outside. The branches of the oak tree are rattling on the roof - must cut them back - and the sea looks angry, with white horses piling up. Plus life is extra stressful in my day job as a garden designer, with materials becoming difficult to source. Not surprising in the current circumstances, but still frustrating. However, I'm safe and warm so I shouldn't really complain.

Despite the difficulties in making progress on my current book, BLOOD ON THE GARDEN and, of course, Aggie is in it, assisting her 'master' DI Sonny Russell with his cases.


In this book I've decided to incorporate the plant knowledge I've accumulated in my working life. As an aside, I only started gardening seriously less than 20 years ago, when my work as a freelance modelmaker began drying up. I used to carry a library of 'how to garden' books and plant encyclopedias around in my car when I started. Learning the necessary skills was a steep learning curve, culminating in three medal winning gardens at the prestigious Chelsea Flower Show and a career in garden design. So I think I'm reasonably qualified now.

I've used my skills in designing and building a courtyard garden in my little holiday let cottage in Northiam....

 ...And I am gradually transforming the garden at home.


I do like a wild, jungle feel, as you can see, and have all too easily achieved this on the 39 Steps up to my studio. The plants are: Tetrapanax papyrifer - Rice paper plant, Lysimachia clethroides - Gooseneck loosestrife, Alchemilla mollis - Lady's mantle and Leycesteria formosa - Himalayan honeysuckle.
As mentioned above, I'm going to incorporate my plant knowledge in the new book - which will go well with the title. So be prepared for some colourful passages!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting Blog Chris you are a wealth of knowledge and using in your writing I’m sure will only aid the quality of you books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bizzie. I do like to share, if I can.

      Delete