Followers

Tuesday 7 August 2018

SHINGLESEA - A railway carriage repurposed

SHINGLESEA
A Railway Carriage repurposed 


In 2007 I had my application to design and build a garden at the prestigious CHELSEA FLOWER SHOW accepted. My winning design was called SHINGLESEA and was inspired by a railway carriage/holiday home at Winchelsea Beach in Sussex.

 

I was struck by the juxtaposition of the soft green paintwork, contrasting with the drift of poppies that appear in late spring. (I have this romantic notion that a soldier, returning from the front at the end of WW1, made it his home. In his pocket was a handful of poppy seeds he'd collected from Flanders Fields.)



My design incorporated a railway carriage, an old boat and drought-tolerant plants in a bed of shingle.

My good friend, Robert Patch, built a beautiful facade of a Victorian railway carriage.


We had ten days to build the garden. It was well received and I got a Silver-Gilt medal, not bad for a naive first-timer.


I gave away 15,00 brochure, talked to hundreds of visitors and... met the Queen!













No comments:

Post a Comment