Followers

Sunday 10 February 2019

BRONZE - my life as a sculptor

BRONZE
my life as a sculptor

Life-size bronze head

Before I turned my hand to garden design, and then writing novels, I worked as a potter, mouldmaker and modeller. I'd always modelled things - houses, robots, racing cars etc, etc, but never human figures so decided to remedy that. I found an evening class in East Grinstead, so once a fortnight, I would drive over there and spend three and half hours, modelling in clay from a live model. 

Bronze seated man

I found it challenging, stimulating and totally absorbing. When finished the clay could just have been fired to make the sculpture permanent, but, with my contacts, I was able to have several pieces made in cold-cast bronze.
The first, was a small figure of a seated man. In the process of sculpting it, I learned a lot about how fabric falls and folds. The second was a 2/3rds lifesize female figure and the third a full-size head. I loved the classes, taught by a superb sculptor, Babette Adrian, and learned a terrific amount about the human form.

2/3rds life-size bronze.









No comments:

Post a Comment